2 continually recurring to the mind; "haunting memories"; "the cathedral organ and the distant voices have a haunting beauty"- Claudia Cassidy [syn: haunting]
3 retained; not shed; "persistent leaves remain attached past maturity"; "the persistent gills of fishes" [syn: lasting] [ant: caducous]
refusing to give up or
- She has had a persistent cough for weeks.
- There was a persistent knocking on the door.
- There have been persistent rumours for years.
past maturity without
- Pine cones have persistent scales.
- About some data or data structures: existing after the execution of
the program. Remaining in
existence past the
lifetime of the program that creates it.
- Once written to a disk file the data becomes persistent and it
will still be there tomorrow when we run the next program.
- This way transient value becomes persistent.
- Once written to a disk file the data becomes persistent and it will still be there tomorrow when we run the next program.
refusing to give up
botany: lasting past maturity without falling off
computing: existing after the execution of the program
- Polish: trwały
Persistent may relate to:
- Persistent Systems, a software company based in Pune, India
- Persistent data structure, a data structure in computing which preserves the previous version of itself when it is modified
- Persistent organic pollutant, an organic compound that is resistant to degradation and persists in the environment
- Persistent Trillium (Trillium persistens), a flowering plant
- Persistent Uniform Resource Locator, a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) that persists over time
- Persistent world, a type of virtual world
- Persistent infection, referring to an ongoing and long-lasting infection
- Persistence disambiguation page
abiding, accordant, adherent, adhesive, age-long, aged, alike, ancient, antique, archaic, assiduous, automatic, balanced, beaten, booming, bound, bound and determined, bulldogged, bulldoggish, bulldoggy, bullheaded, changeless, chronic, clamant, clamorous, clingy, committed, consistent, consonant, constant, continual, continuing, continuous, correspondent, crying, decided, decisive, dedicated, definite, demanding, determined, devoted, diligent, diuturnal, dogged, draining, durable, earnest, echoic, echoing, enduring, equable, equal, even, evergreen, exacting, exigent, exorbitant, extortionate, faithful, fast, firm, fixed, flat, frequent, frozen, gluey, glutinous, grasping, growling, gummy, habitual, hackneyed, hardy, haunting, homogeneous, immobile, immutable, importunate, inalterable, incessant, indefatigable, indelible, indomitable, industrious, inflexible, insistent, instant, intact, interminable, intransient, invariable, inveterate, invincible, inviolate, lasting, level, lingering, long-lasting, long-lived, long-standing, long-term, longeval, longevous, loud, loyal, macrobiotic, measured, mechanical, methodic, monolithic, nagging, never-tiring, obdurate, obsessive, obstinate, of a piece, of long duration, of long standing, ordered, orderly, patient, patient as Job, perdurable, perduring, perennial, permanent, perpetual, perseverant, persevering, persisting, pertinacious, plodding, plugging, preoccupied, pressing, purposeful, quiescent, rapt, reboant, rebounding, recurrent, recurring, reechoing, regular, relentless, remaining, repercussive, repetitive, resolute, resolved, resounding, reverberant, reverberating, reverberatory, rigid, robotlike, routine, rumbling, sedulous, self-adhesive, sempervirent, serious, sincere, single-minded, sleepless, slogging, smooth, solid, sounding, stable, static, stationary, staunch, staying, steadfast, steady, stereotyped, stickable, sticking, sticky, stubborn, sustained, systematic, tacky, taxing, tenacious, thundering, tireless, torpid, tough, trite, unabating, unaltered, unbroken, unceasing, unchangeable, unchanged, unchanging, unchecked, unconquerable, undamped, undaunted, undestroyed, undeveloped, undeviating, undifferentiated, undiscouraged, undiversified, undrooping, undying, unending, unfading, unfailing, unfaltering, unflagging, unflinching, unforgettable, uniform, unintermitting, uninterrupted, unnodding, unrelaxing, unrelenting, unremitting, unruffled, unshakable, unshifting, unsleeping, unswerving, untiring, unvaried, unvarying, unwavering, unwearied, unwearying, unwinking, urgent, utterly attentive, viscid, vital, weariless, well-trodden, well-worn, wholehearted